The Apple MacBook Pro 17″ is a beautiful machine full of power, grace and performance. The case itself is made entirely from a beautiful sturdy brushed aluminum alloy that is lightweight and absolutely stunning.
- 2.8GHz MacBook Pro
- Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
- Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- L2 cache 6MB shared
- System bus 1066MHz
- Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB
- Hard drive4 500GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
- Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
- Graphics memory 512MB GDDR3
- Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
- Display 17-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1920-by-1200 resolution
- Expansion One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), three USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), ExpressCard/34 slot
- Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
- Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
- Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n specification)2; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
- Hardware accessories 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord
- Limited warranty
Service Your MacBook Pro comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple support or call 800-823-2775.
Apple and the global environment Learn more about Apple’s dedication to reducing the environmental impact of our products and processes. The Apple Product Environmental Specification details the environmental attributes of our products.
Recycling Apple takes a holistic view of materials management and waste minimization. Learn more about how to recycle your Mac.
Time Capsule is a full-featured AirPort Extreme base station with a built-in hard drive. Back up wirelessly and create a Wi-Fi network with one device.
•1TB or 2TB server-grade hard drive
•Wi-Fi Certified for 802.11n 2.0
•USB port for connecting a USB printer or USB external hard drive
Configure to order
•500GB (7200-rpm) hard drive
•128GB or 256GB solid-state drive
•Up to 8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
•Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
•Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
•Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
•MagSafe Airline Adapter
•AppleCare Protection Plan
•Final Cut Express
•Apple LED Cinema Display
•AirPort Extreme Base Station
•AirPort Express Base Station
•Apple Wireless Keyboard
•Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
1.Actual weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
2.Wireless Internet access requires a base station or other wireless access point and Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort.
3.Memory available to Mac OS X may vary depending on graphics needs. Minimum graphics memory usage is 256MB.
4.1GB=1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
5.Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using pre-production 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo–based MacBook Pro units with a Better Battery Life setting. Battery life depends on configuration and use. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.
Our First Impressions of the Apple MacBook Pro
Opening the white glossy Apple MacBook Pro 17 Inch box was a lot like that feeling you get when you take a cold shower. The ice cold water hits your skin and it takes your breath away. When you touch it… you just aren’t prepared for the cold metal feel of it because everyone else makes laptops out of plastic; it takes your breath away. The MacBook Pro takes you by surprise again when you lift it… you’re thinking: Metal = Heavy and that just isn’t the case. The brushed aluminum look is so appealing and while the whole stainless kitchen is so yesterday, this look on a notebook is ageless and beautiful; a true work of art in every way.
We were a little disappointed by the interior, while it was very nice looking… there weren’t as many bells, whistles and lights as we expected from something so dramatic (when the lid is closed). We understand the idea is minimalist but it is a piece of technology and as such there is a nerd factor that needs to be appeased here. While the construction/beauty is there, it is a lot like biting into dry chocolate cake when you open it up. The cake is tasty, but you need milk. There is just… too much “White Space” in the interior and it detracts from the overall look because it becomes almost bland.
We may sound like we are nitpicking but when you start the system up it loads fast, everything is great until you get to the part where the little outer space movie plays. You can’t cancel through it (or at least we couldn’t find a way to do that) and it isn’t particularly amazing in the way of pizazz (the movie, not the system) so it’s boring… We don’t like that part of it, but it’s not the end of the world either.
Aside from those two smallish issues our first impressions where very very high.