We had a chance to check out the ElectroPlex Rocket 22/TR Amplifier a few weeks ago and it was a nice little rig. Above you will find a public video from youtube made by Corey Witt from TheToneChef.com. I think his playing does the the amp a little more than justice than mine so check out the video and definitely go to his website and check out what he has to say about “Vitamins, Minerals and Guitar Tones” 🙂
The first thing I have to say about ElectroPlex is it is a pretty nifty boutique amp manufacturer run by a guy named Don Morris. He started the company in 1993 after being in the music industry for about 15 years. He’d been modifying and restoring old tube amps for quite some time and figured he would like to get into making them… so he took his shot. It wasn’t until 2009 that he was able to really pull it off full time. The rest is history.
I was excited when I looked in the back of the The Rocket 22 /TR and saw the 6V6 power tubes and the GZ34 Tube Rectifier. Those tubes give it that throaty punch that drives people crazy and all I wanted to do is hear it play.
The Rocket 22 has two power modes, a low power mode that uses 12 watts, and the 22 watt power mode that has all of the punch of a bigger amp.
The ElectroPlex Rocket 22/TR specs are:
- Output power: 22 watts, switchable to 12 watts
- Standard Rocket features include 2 switch-selectable channels, each with unique tone circuits, 2 independent effects loops, selectable 16, 8 or 4 ohm operation, tube-driven spring reverb, and line-level output.
- Available in 1×12, 2×12, 2×10, 4×10 and 1×15 ‘combo’ configurations, and head-and-cab configuration.
- Speaker options from Celestion, Tone Tubby, Jensen, Austin Speaker Works, Weber and Eminence.
- Standard cabinet finishes include black w/ wheat grille, beige w/ burgundy grille. Custom colors are also available.
I can’t say enough about the ElectroPlex Rocket 22/TR Amp. It’s a great little rig and that 12 or 22 watts of power is plenty loud to shatter the ears. You can pick one of the Electroplex dealers or buy one online.
We give the ElectroPlex Rocket 22/TR amplifier 8 out of 10 stars. It’s an excellent rig at a fair price.